2012年1月30日月曜日

Where Are Some Natrual Resources In Haiti

where are some natrual resources in haiti

Hot and Cold in Haiti « Steve's Free

This is my bathroom sink at home. Last night, returning from a mission trip to Haiti, I got to turn two handles – and get two temperatures of water. Clean water. Plus my first hot shower in a week.

In Haiti, by and large, you get one handle that works. If you even have a sink. And clean water comes in plastic containers.

After a week there on a construction project, my mind and heart are swirling with so many thoughts and impressions that I hardly know where to begin. So, let's start with something we in first-world countries take for granted (I certainly do). Water.

As you drive around Haiti (warning: driving in Haiti can be hazardous to your sanity. I can't even begin to describe what it's like on those roads…!) you'll see trucks with little plastic containers of drinkable water for sale. You'll see large jugs and small bottles of water (hopefully clean), and 5 gallon pails being toted around on top of people's heads, on donkeys, on motorcycles…what you won't see are nice bathrooms, drinking fountains, or sparkling reservoirs.

Our normal would be Haiti's top 0.00001%. I made that number up. But I'll bet it's close. Haiti is poor in a way that we barely comprehend in "first-world" countries.


Whose right to water? Corporate water giants seek to privatize this most basic of all natural resources. Consumers and communities are fighting back.: An article from: Dollars & Sense
Learn more
Kevin Murray

Haiti is in the Caribbean. When I think of that part of the world, I think of beautiful blue water and lush, tropical beaches. In Cap Haitien, near where I was staying, there's a spot called bottle beach. Guess what it looks like. Now envision a landscape where trash is thrown aside everywhere, and almost never collected.

Rough on the eyes. And not so good for the water.

Take a look at this picture. This is the backside of an outhouse – you don't want to see the inside. Do you and I have a bathroom today with hot and cold water, a flushing toilet, and lights that go on and off? I don't know about you, but I take that for granted. Or, I did.

Haiti is about daily survival. It's a land with a paucity of infrastructure, few opportunities, little productive and long-term work, and scarce natural resources. It's a land where life is eked out. If it weren't for the mission groups and other charity organizations that continually come in to put in wells, build buildings, support schools, and provide medical care, there's no telling what life would be like. And yet…this is normal for residents in Haiti. They cope. They make do. They improvise.

Our first-world problems seem pretty miniscule in comparison.


Haiti: An entry from UXL's Junior Worldmark Encyclopedia of the Nations
Learn more

Despite the tragic living conditions, there is something about Haiti that wraps itself around your heart. You see the little children – some with barely any clothes – and they are just like kids anywhere (yes, they loved the give-me-five-then-take-my-hand-away-trick, as every kid does!) You see warm smiles and hear laughter. You wonder about the potential of this nation and its people, and what it would take to move it from a continual state of need and desperation to something better. You realize that with great difficulty comes great opportunity to love, even if it seems like a tiny drop of water in a desert of need. As far out of my comfort zone as Haiti is, I want to go back again someday.

And I have to wonder if one of those kids, privileged to be in an orphanage or a school, is going to grow up to be the one who leads Haiti into better days. Maybe one of the very ones who clung to my neck in a wonderfully-run home for orphans, or got up in unison to say "bonjour!" when the visitors from America came into the classroom.

I was slightly surprised last evening when I was on the plane back to Newark, and using the faucet in the little bathroom to wash up, I felt hot water running over my hands. Perhaps in a few weeks, that will seem normal again. I kinda hope it doesn't, though.


As I have opportunity, I'll try to write up some other reflections, but for now, let me close with this. If you are one of those discontent with America, if you whine about being the 99%, I'd challenge you to spend a week or two Occupying Haiti. You'll quickly realize what percentage group you really belong in. Smell the burning trash. Watch the mangy dogs by the side of the road. See the crumbling buildings. Experience how water and electricity can be unpredictably optional. And talk to the people, who still somehow seem to make the best of it.

We – you and I – have it good here. This is a day for gratitude, not complaining. When we sip that coffee and turn that faucet and open that full refrigerator, remember – we are privileged beyond belief.

And it can be our privilege to help others.

P.S. for those visiting Steve's Free for the first time (Welcome!), this is my little-known personal blog. Most of my marketing/branding/business writings are over at Connection Agent, and my pharma ramblings are at Impactiviti, if that's what you're into…

————-

Subscribe to Steve's Free via e-mail or RSS Reader

Connect with Steve Woodruff

Twitter: @swoodruff

Advertisement



These are our most popular posts: where are some natrual resources in haiti

Refugees from Haiti arriving in Brazil « Brazil Portal

In 1697, the Spanish ceded the French the western third of the island of Hispaniola that later became Haiti. With an economy based exclusively on slave labor and mindless exploitation of natural resources, Haiti became the ... read more

Endeavour in Haiti

We will explore as many natural building methods as possible while in Haiti, with some classroom teaching, but with the main focus being on helping complete construction projects. We will explore various natural building projects going on in ... read more

After the Quake: Haitis Slow Road to Healing by Rachel Harmon ...

Once named the "Pearl of the Antilles" for its wealth in natural resources and value as a French colony, Haiti has been oppressed and neglected by many in recent decades. It now faces crippling levels of overpopulation, ... read more

Finally, a photo of Black-capped Petrel on the nest - ABA Blog

Black-capped Petrels are currently known to breed only in three national parks on Hispaniola, one in the Dominican Republic and two in Haiti, where pressure on natural resources creates a tenuous situation for the petrels. read more

Related Posts



0 コメント:

コメントを投稿